Ready to compare quotes and save?
Answer a few basic questions about your driving & car insurance history.
See quotes from 30+ insurance companies side by side.
Find the right protection for your vehicle.
Connect with the provider and secure your rate.
Hamilton is a booming city that lies at the extreme western end of Ontario's Golden Horseshoe and is also the province’s 4th largest city and the 8th largest city in Canada. Much like Toronto, Hamilton is a modern and urban city, but much smaller, with a population estimated at 536,917, according to the 2016 census. Hamilton is also Canada’s largest and leading industrial hub, with a flourishing iron and steel industry that began in the mid 19th century. Hamilton is also home to over 100 waterfalls within the city, making it the waterfall capital of the world.
Hamilton is no stranger to big city traffic, and most of the congestion can be found near the downtown core. Every day, thousands of drivers commute to work in Toronto or other parts of the city, utilizing busy Ontario highways including the QEW and the 403 to get in and out of the city. Lower Hamilton is notorious for its many one-way streets, right in the downtown core. There are also two major expressways, Lincoln M. Alexander Parkway (the Linc) and the Red Hill Valley Parkway, that connect Hamilton across the city, east, west, or the south. The mountains of the Niagara Escarpment divide upper and lower Hamilton.
If you thought Hamilton drivers are less likely to get into accidents or get tickets than drivers in Toronto, you are mistaken. Due to the high number of vehicles on the road and long commutes to and from the city, accidents and fender benders are common. A report of collision data in the City of Hamilton from between 2010 and 2013 showed that vehicle/vehicle and single vehicle motor collisions represented 86% of all collisions in Hamilton, and 38% of drivers involved in distracted related collisions are under 34 years of age. In Hamilton, driving can definitely be a challenge, but insuring your vehicle isn’t. With a competitive market, Hamilton drivers can save hundreds of dollars by comparing car insurance rates.
Cruise through Hamilton safely. The City of Hamilton has frequent traffic reports and closure alerts that happen around the city, so being aware of these zones will make your drive smoother. Additionally, here’s a refresher on staying safe on the roads:
There are ways to save on the premiums you pay, and it’s no secret. The key here is to know more about how car insurance in Hamilton works. Here are our tips for finding the best rates the RATESDOTCA way:
1) Ask for discounts! Asking your insurance provider for their discounts is a great way to save. Alumni discounts such as for McMaster University are some of the popular professional affiliate discounts we see. You could be eligible for some great discounts, so don’t hesitate to ask.
2) Review your coverage regularly: Whether you are getting married, moving, or getting a new job, use these opportunities to shop around for rates to make sure you get the right coverage for your current status.
3) Consider a usage-based insurance program: By signing up for a usage-based insurance program, you install a device on your car that monitors your driving; like your speed, how hard you step on the brakes, how fast you accelerate, and more. This can help lower your rates and get you savings of up to 25 percent if you are a good driver. This is popular among younger drivers especially as it helps establish your credit as a good driver.
4) Choose your vehicle wisely: Of course, you should be able to buy the car you love, but if you really want to save on your car insurance, go for cars that are less risky. You will pay more if your car is more likely to be stolen, for example, so if you are searching, look for a car that is cheaper to insure.
5) Maintain a good driving record: This doesn’t just give your savings, but also means you value safety on the road. Tickets, accidents and claims will naturally increase your premiums and stay on your record for years.
6) Consider raising your deductible: It’s simple: The higher your deductibles, the lower your premiums. If you raise your deductible to over $500, which is the standard amount, you could be eligible for five to 10 percent savings on your premiums. Always look at your finances before your try this, since a deductible is the part of the expense you cover in the event of a claim.
7) Bundle your auto insurance and home insurance policies: Get your home insurance and your car insurance under one provider and save about five to 15 percent on your combined premiums.
8) Install winter tires: Changing into your winter tires seasonally will earn you a discount of about five percent, while also ensuring that you are safe while driving on icy roads in extreme winter conditions.
9) Pay your premiums annually: If you choose to pay your premiums in a lump sum, instead of monthly payments, you will be paying less for your coverage overall.
10) Shop around: This goes without saying as no two providers will give you the same rate. Comparison shopping is one of the easiest ways to save on your car insurance rates. Imagine being able to save hundreds of dollars on your premiums just by comparing for a better price online. It’s easy with RATESDOTCA!
Hamilton is amongst the top 10 cities in Ontario with the highest car insurance rates. Big, urban cities are prone to increased auto insurance risks such as higher population, traffic volumes, accidents, and higher claims, and crimes like insurance fraud and car theft. With a high population density, Hamilton sees a lot of cars on its roads and this increases chances of collisions and accidents. Just like much of Ontario, Hamilton also has been seeing a rise in auto insurance rates and is the ninth most expensive city in Ontario for auto insurance. So, it doesn’t come as a surprise that drivers in Hamilton pay about $1600 annually.
Save hundreds of dollars by comparing quotes with RATESDOTCA. Drivers in Hamilton save an average of $436* on car insurance, according to data collected from quotes completed on RATESDOTCA. It takes just minutes to find the cheapest Hamilton car insurance rates, so try comparing quotes today!
* Savings number is calculated by deducting the lowest available quote from the 2nd lowest available quote to determine average savings for Hamilton, Ontario.
If you have done your homework, you can save a lot! Understand your unique driving situation, and profile, and then go comparison shopping. Look around for at least three quotes. Keep all your information handy, and make sure you ask about discounts. At RATESDOTCA, we have partnered with over 30 of the top insurance companies, to bring you the best rates at competitive prices. And last year, RATESDOTCA users saved an average of $436* on their car insurance!
*Savings number is calculated by deducting the lowest available quote from the 2nd lowest available quote to determine average savings for Hamilton, Ontario.
Here is a fail-safe, quick guide to comparison shopping for car insurance! Each and every individual is different and so will their coverages.