What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual. Personal information does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
If you are under 18, be sure to obtain your parent or guardian's permission before you send any personal information to us, or anyone else, over the Internet. We encourage parents to get involved with their children's online usage and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
What personal information do we collect, and why?
We collect personal information for specific, limited purposes. Information is collected by fair and lawful means. Anyone can navigate this website without giving us personal information.
We collect personal contact information (for example, name, address, email address and telephone numbers) if you: request a mortgage rate or insurance rate quote or other services; sign up for a newsletter or other email services; are a mortgage or insurance broker or agent and have an account with us; or provide it to us when you click the submit button on our website forms. This information is used to fulfill your request, provide targeted advertising and respond to your inquiries and feedback.
- If you are a broker or agent, we retain your login ID and passwords so that upon request by you and receipt of identification we may remind you of them.
- If you enter a contest or other promotion, we use your personal contact information to administer the contest or promotion including contacting, announcing and promoting prize winners.
- We collect demographic information, as well as quote request history and a list of promotions offered to you ("history"), in order to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may develop better products and services, and to determine eligibility for our products and services.
- We may also use demographic, personal contact and history information from time to time to contact you about changes, enhancements or other notices related to goods or services you requested and which we provide. In addition, we may use this information to send you offers or information from us, our affiliates and from selected sponsors or advertisers ("Marketing Offers"). If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the procedure set out in our opt-out policy (see below).
- We keep notes and special instructions on file for mortgage and insurance brokers and agents to help us fulfill your request and provide customer service. We may tape or monitor your telephone calls with our customer service representatives for quality assurance purposes.
- We may collect credit card information if you are a mortgage or insurance broker or agent. This credit card information is used for the purpose of fulfilling your order.
- If you choose to opt-out of any use of your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy, we keep your contact information on a list so that your request can be honoured. If you complain to any of our departments, we collect your contact information and the nature of your complaint, for the purpose of investigating and responding to you.
- If you are a service provider, we collect your social insurance number for tax reporting purposes and your contact information in order to pay you. We may also collect financial information from service providers and from advertisers (for example, banking details and credit history) to assess credit risk, sales data to prepare royalty reports and other information to help us evaluate your services.
If you are concerned about cookies, it is possible to turn them off in your web browser preferences. However, please be aware that by disabling cookies, you may not be able to use all portions of our websites, particularly pages requiring registration.
to learn more about interest based advertising and manage your ad preferences. Please note you will continue to receive generic ads.
We may place advertising or other links on our sites that originate from outside advertisers. If you view these ads, the advertisers may assign a cookie. We do not control these cookies, nor are we responsible for any marketing or other use of your name by these advertisers.
To whom do we disclose personal information, and why?
Rates.ca is not a mortgage or insurance company or a mortgage broker/agent or insurance broker/agent. You will be disclosing information directly to mortgage and insurance brokers or agents, as well as to Rates.ca if you choose to receive a mortgage or an insurance quote from a mortgage or insurance broker or agent. This will be clearly indicated, and it is part of the quoting process.
We may also disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
Consent and opt-out policy.
- In order to provide you with Marketing Offers (see above), we may disclose your personal contact information to affiliates and selected sponsors and advertisers. If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the procedure set out in our opt-out policy (see below).
- We may transfer your personal information on a confidential basis to a third party (which party may be outside of Canada) acting on our behalf in order to perform processing and other specialized services, for example, prize fulfillment of our contests, collection of overdue accounts, product delivery, or credit card processing.
- We may disclose your personal information to our affiliates for internal audit, management, billing, administrative, marketing, promotion, or other business purposes.
- When we need to disclose your personal information to unrelated parties, for example, if we find you have violated any stated terms of service or conditions of purchase, or if we need to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests, other legal and regulatory authorities and other legal reasons.
Personal information collected by Rates.ca is used to provide you with a reference to a mortgage or insurance company or broker/agent or other service. Any information requested by the presentation of any form on our website will be clearly marked and no collection will take place unless you, not only fill in the form, but also actively consent and successfully submit that form's content to us.
In general, we seek consent to use your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy. Except as set out in this section, we obtain your express opt-in consent to use or disclose sensitive personal information.
If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by doing any of the following:
- Follow the instructions at the bottom of any email Marketing Offer you receive.
- Call Rates.ca at 1-844-726-0907 and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
- Email Rates.ca at [email protected] and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
Please allow a reasonable time (approximately 2-4 weeks) for processing of your request.
How to access and correct your personal information.
You may call Rates.ca at 1-844-726-0907 and we will make the changes upon receipt of appropriate evidence.
We will give you access to the information we retain about you within a reasonable time, upon written request, satisfactory identification and proof of entitlement. In some cases, we may not provide access to personal information in our possession or control. If we deny your request, we will advise you in writing of the reason for the refusal and you may challenge our decision.
How to challenge our privacy practices.
360 Adelaide Street West, Suite 100
Email: [email protected]
Customer Service at Rates.ca can successfully deal with many issues. If you prefer, or if after contacting Customer Service, your concerns or questions have not been resolved to your satisfaction, you can contact the Rates.ca Privacy Officer as well.