Save on home and tenant insurance by comparing quotes
from top providers. Easy saves!

Postal Code Home Insurance

Welcome home. is Canada's premier destination for finding the best auto, travel and property insurance rates.

We are your one-stop site for finding the property insurance coverage you're looking for at the lowest rates. makes it easy for you to compare home insurance quotes, policies and providers. Home sweet home is even sweeter when you have the peace of mind that comes with knowing your home and your valuables are protected.

Compare home insurance quotes today

Whether you rent or own, protecting your property matters. All it takes is a few minutes to get property insurance quotes from many of Canada's leading property insurance providers.

Note that "property insurance" and "home insurance" refer to the same thing, but may be called one or the other depending on the insurance company. The more important part is to search for coverage from a source you can trust. At, we work with some of Canada's most trusted property insurance providers to find you the best rates.

Home Insurance 101

Property insurance covers your home, condo or apartment, and the contents within it. It also covers your personal liability if you’re sued for damages or injury that you may inadvertently cause. There are essentially four components to property insurance coverage that apply to home owners, and three that apply to tenants:

  • Property – Protects the actual structure of the home from perils such as damages caused by fire and burglary. Coverage is based on the replacement value of your home, not the market value
  • Contents – Protects your personal property when it's at home and when you carry it with you, such as a laptop you bring to and from school, the bicycle you ride to work with, and the camera you bring on vacation, subject to limits
  • Personal Liability – Protects you the policyholder (as well as your spouse and children) in the event someone is injured on your property, or your property causes them damages, and it is taken to court
  • Additional living expenses – Covers you in the event you are temporarily displaced from your home due to a claim

Who Needs Home Insurance?

In short, both homeowners and renters alike need property insurance, but the type of coverage varies between the two. The main difference being that homeowners also want to protect the physical structure of the property against damages and perils, whereas tenants are more concerned with personal property and liability.

Unlike car insurance, home insurance is not mandatory. However, most mortgages will not be approved without proof of home insurance, and many landlords these days require renters to obtain property insurance as well. In addition, not owning home insurance means you are at risk of losing everything, from your home itself to your most precious belongings.

For most homeowners, purchasing property insurance is a no-brainer. Renters, on the other hand, sometimes delay or avoid purchasing property insurance. This can be financially and emotionally devastating in the event of a fire, break-in, theft or another perilous situation.

With home insurance premiums as low as $15 a month, why would anyone risk not having property insurance? Using you can easily find competitive home insurance rates that will suit your needs. You can compare rates today!

Insurance For Homeowners:

Owning a home is a big responsibility. Without insurance, you're on the hook if something goes wrong with your home, whether it's from damages caused by a fire that temporarily displaces you and your family, someone steals your personal belongings from your car when you run into the store, or a friend slips on the sidewalk and breaks their leg. Home insurance is available to help you in these cases and far more.

Insurance For Renters:

With tenant's, or renter's insurance, you share the same personal property and liability concerns, which is where contents insurance comes into play. Your landlord will have a policy for the physical structure of your home (and the appliances that come within it) but it's up to you to ensure your stuff is protected. If a fire that starts in another unit spreads to yours, for example, your tenant's insurance will also cover the costs if you have to stay in a hotel while your unit is being repaired. Between replacing items and finding alternative, temporary accommodations, tenant's insurance can make a big difference in an otherwise stressful and emotional time.

When determining the amount of tenant's insurance you need, consider how much it would cost to replace everything you own. Small things like pots and pans, furniture, clothes and more can add up.

Types of Home Insurance Plans

For homeowners, home insurance policies typically come in three packages:

  1. Basic homeowner's coverage – This minimalistic coverage option is great for homeowners looking to save a little cash, but willing to risk a financial hit on excluded items. It contains coverage for your house, contents and personal liability, however coverage is provided on a named-perils basis. This means you are covered only for what is explicitly stated in your policy. "Fire" would be an example of a named peril you might see in a basic package. It costs less, but is more limited in terms of coverage.
  2. Broad homeowner's coverage – A more robust form of coverage that serves as an upgrade to the basic package by providing all risk insurance coverage when it comes to your home, and named perils when it comes to your contents. This is a mid-level policy.
  3. Comprehensive homeowner's coverage – The most inclusive and thus typically the most expensive type of insurance, this policy covers all risks to your home and contents as indicated in the policy. As always, make sure you read the fine print to fully understand what is and isn't covered. Comprehensive will offer you the most coverage, but still there might be some things excluded.

Optional Coverage and Endorsements

You can also opt to have additional coverage added to your home insurance. With weather conditions worsening, many insurers have extended their specialty offerings and are adding coverage for perils they didn't protect against before.

Every region has different risks, so depending on where you live you might consider adding one of these optional coverages:

  • Earthquake coverage: Usually excluded from policies, by adding this type of coverage you can protect your home from earthquakes, which are common in some parts of Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec. Earthquakes can cause significant damage to homes and contents, so this is a worthwhile type of insurance to consider if you live in at-risk area.
  • Sewer backup: This type of insurance covers you when a region's main sewer line backs up into your home, sometimes ruining entire basements and posing massive problems to your home and your health. Severe weather has increased the likelihood of this claim, which is why it comes increasingly recommended.
  • Rider: If you have expensive items such as jewelry and engagement/wedding rings, musical instruments and equipment, and high-end art, you may want to insure them under a separate policy called a rider. There are limitations to how much these items are covered under a standard home insurance policy.
  • Identity Theft: More and more, insurers are adding identity theft protection. If someone steals your identity, the insurance company will help you get everything back in order

Property insurance isn't a one size fits all type of deal. Each policy is different and comes with different levels of coverage, allowing you to customize your plan to fit your needs and your budget.

Compare Property Insurance Quotes Today

Use to find the best rate on property insurance. It's quick to get quotes and simple to use.
Stay On Top of Your Finances
Sign up to subscribe to our newsletter, receive alerts when rates change or schedule a reminder prior to the renewal of your insurance policy and/or mortgage
Are there any fees associated with comparing rates on
Comparing rates on is absolutely free! We get paid by the brokers and financial services companies we work with so our service always remains free for the consumer.
What products can I compare on
Currently you can compare car insurance quotes, mortgage rates and credit card offers.
What provinces is available in?
Car insurance is currently only available to Ontario & Alberta residents. Mortgages and credit cards are available across Canada.
How will the information I provide on the site be used?
Any information that you provide on will only be transferred to the financial services provider who you've chosen to share it with in order to fulfil your request. We will not sell your information to any third parties without your consent.
Is a broker? is not a broker and is not affiliated with any particular financial services company. This allows us to take an objective/un-biased position in helping you compare products on our site.
How does make money?
We get compensated by insurance and mortgage brokers for referrals we send to them and by credit card issuers for approved credit card applications originating from our site. We only send referrals to our partners when you indicate that you want to be contacted by them. We do not sell your information to third parties without your consent.
How do I change my email address?
If you're subscribed to one of our services you can change your email on the Subscriptions page. Every one of our emails also contains a link at the bottom to edit your subscription and change your email. Lastly, you can send an email to [email protected] to request the change.
Does it matter what browser I use to access is compatible across all browsers and devices. If you do however spot an issue using a particular browser/device please notify us by emailing [email protected]
How do I change my subscription preferences?
Simply click on "Edit Existing Subscriptions" at the top of the Subscriptions page. You will be promoted to enter your email and check your inbox for an email from us containing a link to edit your current subscriptions. Every email also contains this link at the bottom. You will be able to change your subscriptions as well as unsubscribe. You may also email [email protected] to request any changes to your subscriptions.
How do I contact
You may contact us via email at [email protected] or call 1-844-726-0907., 360 Adelaide Street West, Suite 100, Toronto, ON M5V 1R7, Canada
© 2018 All Rights Reserved.