- Currently, 75.7% of Albertans aged 12 and older have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and 64.6% of Albertans aged 12 and older have received both doses.
- If you’re planning to take a road trip or attend an event in Calgary in August, prepare accordingly, and keep these tips in mind.
- If you suspended your road coverage during the pandemic, contact your broker or insurer and let them know you intend to take to the road again.
On July 1, Alberta moved to stage three of its ‘Open for Summer Plan’, and by doing so, most of its public health restrictions designed to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus were rescinded.
However, there are some restrictions still in place. For instance, the requirement to wear a mask in health care facilities and on public transit, taxis, and ridesharing services remain, though some municipalities and businesses may still have masking requirements. But indoor and outdoor social gatherings and large events such as concerts, sporting events, and festivals are now permissible.
Part of the reason why has to do with Alberta’s vaccination rate. As of July 30, 75.7% of Albertans aged 12 and older have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and 64.6% of Albertans aged 12 and older have received both doses.
Calgarians may be hankering to get out of the house and socialize again. If you are, here are a few things taking place in Calgary in August to explore:
- Visit Heritage Park Historical Village. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., explore more than 180 exhibits on 127 acres of land and learn about Western Canadian history from the 1860s to 1950s at Canada’s largest living history museum.
- Get your kicks at Calaway Park. What’s better than an amusement park? The answer is Western Canada’s largest outdoor amusement park. Calaway Park features 32 family-friendly rides, yummy treats, and live entertainment.
- Get revved up with Downhill Karting. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., get your thrills racing down a gravity-fuelled 1,800-metre track on a purpose-built kart everyone in the family can ride.
- Take flight at the Hangar Flight Museum. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., aviation enthusiasts and history buffs will get a lift out of the Hangar Flight Museum. Learn about Western Canada’s aviation history and explore aircraft and exhibits.
Don't waste time calling around for auto insurance
Use RATESDOTCA to shop around, and compare multiple quotes at the same time.
Things to consider before driving
If you’re planning to take a road trip or attend an event in Calgary in August, take your time behind the wheel, and keep these tips in mind:
- Always wear a seatbelt. Wearing a seatbelt saves lives. Make sure you and your passengers always wear one.
- Make driving safely a priority. Don’t drive aggressively or speed, and be courteous while behind the wheel.
- Keep an eye out for emergency vehicles. Slow down and move over when emergency vehicles have their flashing lights on and need to pass you. It’s the law.
- Focus on driving. Distracted driving is one of the most dangerous things you can do while driving. Resist the temptation to fiddle with a mobile device and stay focused on the road.
- Keep car-related documents with you. Make sure you have your driver’s licence, insurance, vehicle ownership, and registration with you any time you drive.
- Don’t drive impaired. Do not consume alcohol or cannabis before driving. A driving while impaired conviction on your driving record will spike your premium for at least three years.
Is your car insurance coverage ready to ride with you?
If you haven’t reviewed your car insurance policy and coverages lately, doing so before you motor away is a good idea. Especially if you suspended your road coverage during the pandemic. In that case, contact your broker or insurer and let them know you intend to take to the road before driving, or you may be driving without insurance.
If you’re unhappy with how much you’re paying for an auto policy, don’t get angry; get inquisitive. Find an auto policy that suits your needs and budget by comparing policies and premiums for free.