This article has been updated from a previous version.
Purchasing a second vehicle may mean you have an exciting reason to head to the lot. Is the car an upgrade for your growing family? A primary vehicle for your significant other? Or is it a sleek, speedy roadster that’s the car of your dreams?
You may even have your eye on a specific brand and vehicle model, but do you know how dependable it is? There would be nothing worse than having your new, expensive automobile drain your wallet because it is rife with problems and flaws.
Thankfully, J.D. Power’s 2021 Vehicle Dependability Study helps you separate the studs from the duds before you hit the dealership. However, because automotive problems don’t always present themselves right away, the featured vehicles are 2018 models that have been driven by their original owners for three years.
Top five most dependable car brands
Based on the average J.D. Power dependability score, Lexus ranks as the most dependable vehicle on the road for the ninth time in 10 years. Other car brands that topped the list include:
Top five least dependable car brands
Land Rover falls flat with the least dependable vehicle on the road, followed by Alfa Romeo and Jaguar:
- Land Rover
- Alfa Romeo
Most dependable vehicles by type
A vehicle’s reputation can impact its resale value. Choosing a reputable car may ensure your purchase keeps its worth when it’s time to upgrade or sell. From the best minivan to the finest SUV, here are the most dependable vehicles:
- Small premium SUV: 2018 Mercedes-Benz GLA
- Small premium car: 2018 BMW 2 Series
- Small SUV: 2018 Kia Sportage
- Compact car: 2018 Volkswagen Beetle
- Compact SUV: 2018 Buick Envision
- Compact premium SUV: 2018 Porsche Macan
- Compact premium car: 2018 Lexus ES
- Midsize pickup: 2018 Nissan Frontier
- Midsize car: 2018 Kia Optima
- Midsize sporty car: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro
- Midsize SUV: 2018 Kia Sorento
- Midsize premium car: 2018 Genesis G80
- Midsize premium SUV: 2018 Lexus GX
- Large car: 2018 Toyota Avalon
- Minivan: 2018 Toyota Sienna
- Large SUV: 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe
- Large light-duty pickup: 2018 Toyota Tundra
Make your auto insurance another deciding factor
Vehicle type, dependability, brand, and price may be deciding factors when purchasing your next vehicle. But don’t overlook your auto insurance. Compare car insurance quotes as you shop to avoid surprises when it comes to your premium.
Don't waste time calling around for auto insurance
Use RATESDOTCA to shop around, and compare multiple quotes at the same time.