Finding, financing, and purchasing a home or condominium is a lot of work. There are many things you have to think about, such as getting approved for a mortgage, finding a real estate agent, and making sure you have the right home insurance or condo insurance policy.
Instead of letting the stress of house hunting agitate you, leverage the power of your mobile device by searching for your perfect homestead with a mobile app. No matter what kind of house or condo you’re seeking, one of these mobile apps might help make your search easier (and more fun):
- Realtor.ca. The Canadian Real Estate Association’s app, Realtor.ca, allows prospective homebuyers to search its listings nationwide (including properties available to rent as well). Whether it’s a single-family home, condo, or townhouse you’re seeking, Realtor.ca lets you save your searches, keep tabs on your favourite listings, and add notes. Searching can be filtered by price, property type, and so on, and the app provides demographic details for each neighbourhood you’re eyeing. The Realtor.ca app is free to download for both Android and iOS (iPhone, iPad) platforms.
- Zoocasa. The Zoocasa mobile app provides property data and listings across Canada and the Greater Toronto Area. Homebuyers can tailor their searches by choosing neighbourhoods and price preferences for homes, townhomes, and condos. Furthermore, you can refine your search by detailing the interior details you’re after like the size of rooms and home features. If you’re seeking a condo, the app provides additional details like a condo’s locker information, building maintenance fees, and amenities. The Zoocasa app is free to download for Android and iOS.
- Zillow. Search, save, and share home and condo listings through the Zillow app. It features 3D virtual tours of properties for sale or rent nationwide, the ability to book property viewings and get the lowdown on what’s nearby in the neighbourhood. For renters, you can create a profile to help you connect with landlords and property managers before visiting an apartment. The Zillow app is a free download for Android and iOS.
- Real Estate Canada by MARL. This app promises homebuyers a simple way to find properties for sale across Canada with a focus on major cities such as Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. It taps into your device’s GPS if you want to search for listings in your area or use its map feature to browse properties across the country. It includes detailed property descriptions, can connect you with real estate agents, and provides mortgage and land transfer fee calculators. The Real Estate Canada by MARL app is free to download to iOS devices such as the iPhone or iPad.
- Zolo. Up-to-date listings for homes for sale or rent across most of Canada (excluding Manitoba and Quebec), the Zolo app features in-depth home and property details as well as additional information such as nearby amenities, schools, and Statistics Canada data for the neighbourhood you fancy. The Zolo app is a free download for Android and iOS.
- Trulia. Whether you’re looking to buy or rent, the Trulia app can help you discover homes and apartments in neighbourhoods that suit you. It includes neighbourhood heat overlay maps which provide details such as the number of schools and amenities in the area, as well as what the crime rates are. Its searches are also customizable, and the app also provides details on a dwelling’s property tax and sales history. The Trulia app is a free download for Android and iOS.
All of the above apps are useful for renters seeking new digs too. But don’t forget to protect yourself and your possessions with a tenant insurance policy.